Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Mammoth Cave National Park, Kentucky

Mammoth Cave National Park (close to both Cave City and Horse Cave City) has the world's longest cave system and we arrived to check out four hours of the Grand Avenue tour.

Oh yes, how could I forget? I have been to Mammoth Cave National Park before. When I posed for the guide book!

Bambi!

The caves were cool (temperature wise) and beautifully Gothic. We learned a bit about how the caves were paved out, discovered and guided by slaves throughout the 19th and early 20th century and their names were hauntingly etched into the walls. (To me, this seemed to be described to us without regret, though I just found a nice tribute to their contribution here.


Here is a foggy photo of our lovely and knowledgeable cave guide. It was taken immediately after we emerged so my camera was still adjusting.

We planned to camp for the night in the Mammoth Cave National Park and when we went to buy some beer, we found out we were in a *gasp* dry county! How the heck does a dry county exist?!
I took these on our search for beer (one county over) out the car window.

Here we are basking in the glory of CAMPING! Cooking canned goods on a fire and being extremely rugged.

Also, a life long dream was fulfilled when I got to make s'mores. Not stinky wine biscuit s'mores made on twigs, but using graham crackers and smorestix. Just like The Babysitter's Club.

We were just lifting the last "dog" (sausage) from the fire and spooning the "velveeta" (mac'n'cheese) onto our plates when thunder rolled in the distance...within minutes it was pouring and six of us were snuggled with our dinners in one tent. 

The next morning was not photo worthy. We were sleep deprived and damp (this was mostly Jay as he was in the biggest wet patch and ended up sleeping in the car.) Oh the irony...we didn't have to camp, but we did! We even chose camping other sleeping in a wig wam.
Anyway, the only thing we could do, after 5 hours of drying out gear, was console ourselves at Horse Cave City's fabulous (can't remember the name) Mexican restaurant! 11am $4 Pina Colada? Don't mind if I do!

Sooo I ordered my lunch. It was the "special."
And this is what I received:
I almost threw up looking at it. So much food!

Colleen's delicious meal, complete with margarita!

We then checked out this who diddy of a store:

Toto, I don't think we're in lefty country any more!
Also, when the old sir behind the counter asked us, "Where y'all from?" and his answer to "New Zealand" was "Ohkaay."

Here are some of Mark's photos of Ye Olde Generl Store...after seeing their 'Obama'nation display I wasn't that keen on spending money there.

No comments: