Wednesday, March 16, 2011

An Adventure...

At 12.30am the other morning, I went to the airport to pick up my Nana who is visiting from Australia (and one of my most favourite people ever.) We were zipping home and chatting happily, excited for a cup of tea and a rest when a strange noise came from the bottom of the car. THEN it slowed right down and started making a really bad sound.
Luckily, I knew where the hazard lights were (in a really random place on the dashboard I might add) and we put over to the far left lane. Every time I have ever watched Motorway Patrol on TV they have always yelled at people, "DON'T GET OUT OF THE CAR!" So we stayed in the car and I rang our car rescue service to come and tow the car home.
While I was on the phone, a Land Transport man pulled up behind us. He yelled, "DON'T GET OUT OF THE CAR!" and then informed me we just had a blown tire. (Tow truck was then cancelled.) He then drove behind us to get us off the road and then had to zip off to an accident up the road.*
So that left me and Nana to change the tire. We managed to jack up the car and were trying to get the nuts off when a lovely Polynesian man in a big 4WD pulled over and silently changed the whole thing for us, he had planks of wood in his car and was getting them out and fiddling around and generally doing a way better job than we were doing.
The police came a few moments later also and helped out too. Apparently there are cameras all up and down the motorway that can see when cars break down and then someone is sent out to help them. That is amazing! Those policeman must have been laughing at our poor mechanical attempts..
Finally, our lovely Samaritan shook our hands, kissed our cheeks and drove off into the night. What a hero.

Morals of the story:
1. You should loosen the nuts on the tire before you jack up the car.
2. If changing a wheel on grass, you need something firm to sit under the jack.
3. I need to learn how to change a tire. (Stu is teaching me this weekend.)

*Don't Speed.

4 comments:

Alex said...

Cool story - it somehow makes it extra awesome that the guy just showed up and helped you silently... I don't think I could ever meet new people in an unusual/hilarious situation and not talk my face off. How sad.

Elizabiscuit said...

what an awesome guy! Hopefully he feels real swell having helped out you and your grandma.

Jenna said...

I hope so too! His English wasn't that great, so we were nattering away and then wondering why he wouldn't answer! He saved our evening!

Lila said...

That is an amazing story ! And I totally second Alex's call. Silence is extra awesome, and highly elusive in any situation I am in. Tehe.