Sunday, January 31, 2010

SORRY! I'm back, really! I've been in Hamilton.

It's been a long time, I know and my non-blogging has been on my conscience for this entire month. But I have some good excuses. 1) The first week and a half of this year I did nothing but Wii and read "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini . 2) I then went for a wee trip around the North Island - of which I will start blogging about today, then we will be all caught up and I can tell you what I am doing next, which is quite exciting.

On the 15th of January, I flew to Auckland and stayed with my Aunty. The next day, she drove me one hour South to the metropolis of HAMILTON. Hamilton is not really a metropolis, actually it is quite a ridiculed city by other more smug New Zealand cities, but there were some important reasons that I needed to visit. 1) My dear friend from art school Holly Russell lives there and 2) It has one of the most important tourist attractions that the world has to offer.

My favourite movie in the entire world is The Rocky Horror Picture Show, it is simply an amazing musical that has had a profound affect of my life and character. A little known fact about the movie is that it was in fact written not just by a New Zealander, but a Hamiltonian - Richard O'Brien who played the character Riff Raff. His statue is on the main street and I bonded with it well.
You HAVE to check out the website, which has a 24 hour live camera on Riff Raff. AMAZING!

Holly also took me to a beautiful and delicious restaurant Chim-Choo-Ree.


In the morning, we went to the Hamilton farmer's market, which is basing it's model on Dunedin's own market - it was just lovely! All in all, thanks to a fantastic host - I had the perfect 24 hours in Hamilton.

2 comments:

Julia said...

When someone doesn't blog for a while I always get concerned for them - so I'm happy that all is well with you. Welcome back - and looking forward to the next instalment...Julia

Jenna said...

Julia!
It's so much easier to write about places that are new rather than home. I'm working on it!
I'm off to catch up on your blog now. Nice to hear from you! xoxo