Thursday, August 13, 2009

Haeundae

Last week I went to the latest Korean blockbuster "Haeundae" (with english subtitles) the ultimate disaster movie about a mega tsunami hitting Haeundae beach in Busan.

Now, I am usually the most anti-blockbuster movie goer ever, with most of them I would rather sit in the foyer and watch the wall - but, I haven't been to the movies in Korea at all so I thought I'd give it a go.

It was pretty funny at first and very Korean - banking on the cuteness of children, lots of rough smacking in arguments, loud pitched whining women and everyone was always wasted on soju. Once the tsunami hit, they tried in every way to pry tears from the audience with long drawn out goodbyes with stretched fingers not quite reaching, followed by lots of slow-mo running chased by a whole lot of water.

The movie was okay, quite Titanic-like in drama (minus my teen crush Leo) and I was quite distracted by the amount of plastic surgery most of the main actresses have had. I'd never seen eyes so wide and noses so high and straight.

I really think the trailer shows all.

AND I learned that Haeundae beach is not actually Hyundai beach, like I had always thought. Bonus.

4 comments:

gigi said...

OMG it's just like the nineties what with twister and dante's peak. Mmmm disaster movies...mmmm.
What I do like is your blog.

Somedays I go: man, today is a bit poo BUT then I look at the internet and see a new Jenna post and this makes me happy.

Jenna said...

Oh the 90's disaster movies - remember Deep Impact?

Actually, in my very first moments in Korea - I was having a "What am I doing?" panic attack and the only english speaking TV I could find was Twister. Holy.

Aw G, I like you! I feel the same about friendly teacake - that lunch you made, made me so hungry and so NZ food homesick. Yum! I forgot tabouli existed!

admin said...

Ain't nothing wrong with wanting to improve onces face.

Jenna said...

Hey, if you've got the money - why the hell not?