Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Eeek! It's getting coldsies!

Since I have arrived (I think exactly one month ago?) it has officially dropped 25 degrees and it is meant to snow overnight. Incheon wind has a horrific chill that I have never felt before...this makes me nervous because a) I am from Dunedin where the weather is crap. b) it is only the beginning of winter.
Luckily I don't have to go far to go to work - literally 30 seconds from the dorm to the front door of GEC, and unlike in Dunedin - my room is a snuggley box of heat.
Some things I have noticed since the weather has gotten colder:
- My classroom is really warm but there is no heating in the experience rooms or hallways AND my co-teacher (whom I love) constantly opens the windows in our classrooms but says how it is cold. I'm not even going to try and understand it.
- One thing I have noticed about Koreans - is that they barely take their jacket off. On the subway, in the classroom, in large shopping stores - and here I am taking my jacket on and off constantly because it is so warm inside!

Yesterday, I went to the hospital for a check-up (which went well). But the exciting thing about it was that I went entirely on my own. I took a taxi, found the right reception, had a conversation with my doctor, paid, went to the pharmacy and taxied back to Wangdang Dong to pick up some supplies. I felt adventurous and free and it was amazing!
I stopped in and visited my old roommates - they were so cute! After the initial excitement where they were grabbing my hand, stroking my clothes and making me coffee we sat in awkward in silence as they do not speak english. I still enjoyed it, I'll visit them again.

Here are some pictures of some of my kids - Chubi with her hat that the all the wee kiddies are wearing, Star in his booby shirt and the shitty science room (Lesson: concave and convex mirrors - a boring lesson I have to draw out for 45 minutes).

1 comment:

gigi said...

I want the booby top!